Craft 'n Coffee

Saturday, October 6, 2012

A missions heart from a near tragedy

I've decided to finally update  my blog.  It's been a bit deliberate, not writing anything.  I would have gone on and on about the miraculous survival of my 17 year-old daughter who was hit by an 18-wheeler while OUT of the vehicle - full speed on an interstate, the truck hit the vehicle so hard he burst into flames and my child was thrown nearly 80 YARDS .. yes, YARDS not feet ... no one was hurt in this accident but my baby girl, and suffice it to say she/we are still in the hospital 7+ weeks later.  She is on the mend, and she did not lose a single limb, her head and spine were mostly unharmed except for some minor chipping along the boney edges of the L-spine which will heal itself.  She did have one major setback when she began to get sicker and sicker, and it was finally determined that her gallbladder was dying and needed to come out.  That happened one week ago and she has been mending quickly since then, able to eat and smile again.

That's the short version of this story.  I am so thankful.  I spend every day with her, her dad spends every night with her, because of the trauma she went through she cannot be left alone for more than a few minutes, certainly not overnight.  Thankfully we got a big corner room on the LTAC.  So I work intermittently, crochet a lot ....

And on the crochet-n-coffee note, I could expound further most enthusiastically.  I finished all my froggy swap squares, and at this point have received from all but 2 ladies.  They're in Canada and their mail takes a bit longer to arrive.  That's okay, I can't join the squares right away yet anyway.  I'm in the middle of a project.  A missions project!  I'm crocheting cute hats, mostly kids hats, to sell at Family Weekend (last weekend of October so I'm crocheting like crazy), and my oldest daughter will be doing some baking to sell as well.   I'll take only a bit of the money to help with the expense of all the yarn - which I AM buying on sale only but still adds up fast - the rest will go to our lovely pastor's daughter who is on a 4-month missions trip in the Philippines.  She tells us the needs there are great.  The girls don't have shower curtains so modesty is difficult, they need rice, beans, deodorant, shoes, clothing, school supplies, money for gas.  The list is endless in a poorer country than ours.  And our God is pleased when we give of our abundance to those who have nothing.

After all that was given to us in our time of need with my daughter's devastating accident, which happened out of town and we had to stay there for a while ... bills still have to be paid ... we cannot be thankful and grateful and not give back.  I can do without some things - TV, Hulu Plus, eating out so much - and give back.  There's no way possible I could attempt to repay all the people who have helped us, but we can help others in need.

And so I'm crocheting every spare moment, my oldest daughter will come home from college and bake all night, and we will try to sell what we've made and give back.  Where my youngest daughter's heart has always been and her future no doubt is ... on the mission field.

"Always give without remembering and always receive without forgetting." ~ Brian Tracy





"No one has ever become poor by giving." ~ Anne Frank

“The value of a man resides in what he gives and not in what he is capable of receiving.” ~ Albert Einstein

Deuteronomy 15:10
Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.


Click here to read and learn how to give to our missions, our heart, in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment