Craft 'n Coffee

Monday, March 5, 2012

7, an experimental mutiny against excess

At the Pentecostals of Alexandria, Louisiana we're going through some really tumultous changes.  We just kicked off our Knowledge Project, which puts every department in the church teaching the same subject, with the same "key verse" (Memory verse).  The  Sunday School department got a real rotorooter taken to it, and it's ... wow.  The kids are really gonna love this!

There are those who really hate change, and there are those who understand that we cannot grow without change.  We get stuck in a rut, no growth, no souls, no moving forward, without change.  That's just a fact of life.

That said, next week we're beginning our annual 21-day fast. Some do the "Daniel fast", some do something else.  I personally cannot sit and obsess about food and where it comes from to that extent, nor can I afford all the organic healthy stuff, so I shut myself down to one meal a day, no sodas, no sweets (arggh!).  No wonder America is so fat, fattening over-processed food is what is affordable ...... well.  And that's where I come to my original subject.

Last night at church our music minister, Kevin Howard, spoke. He's been reading a book that he says has invaded him, changed him, he will never be the same in the way he thinks, in the way he gives.  I bought the book and would love to have someone do a read-along with me.  I don't like change either, but I'm so SICK of eating the crumbs off the table when I'm the child, not the dog!

The book is "7, an experimental mutiny against excess" by Jen Hatmaker, IBM # 978-1-4336-7296-5 and can be purchased at Barnes&Nobles and Amazon.
I do NOT read nonfiction very well, and if I try to do this on my own, I might get about 5 pages in before I fall asleep and don't pick it back up.  But if I'm reading it along with others, I can do that!  Anybody up for a life-changing, thinking-changing, self-convicting, family-disrupting sort of book?  I know if I do this, my children will reap good things from it, because as it stand right now, I have 2 teenagers who are incredibly spoiled.  It's not like we're rich, far from it, but they get to eat out, get all the latest toys, get to drive cars etc, and at 17 and 18 I'm running out of time to teach them anything myself, then everything will be on them to learn from life.  And whatever we can help with before THAT process starts, the better chance they have of being better people than us parents.  Right?  And if not for the kids, just for our own salvation, frankly, because I think most of us are so caught up in Acts 2:38 that we miss a lot of the rest of what God's Word is trying to tell us.

No comments:

Post a Comment