Craft 'n Coffee

Monday, March 12, 2012

21 days: "Our Father"

Our 21 days of fasting, of personal sacrifice begins today.  Our first week begins with a media fast ... cut out the TV shows, time-consuming internet browsing, news, etc.  For me, the news, definitely. I can spend hours reading the local paper, AOL, FoxNews, CNN, and all it does is make me agitated, horrified at humanity, hopeless for our future, yucky.

So this week's focus is Matthew 6:9-10 "Our Father which art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."

A lot of people do the Daniel fast, but I just can't bring myself to consider that a fast, myself.  It's a diet, and you have to be downright obsessive about it, or at least I do, and I despise being obsessive about diets.  Others do find this to be a very effective fast, so more power to them.  My fast this 21 days will include eating only one meal a day, no sweets, no sodas. And yes, my tummy will be HURTING in approximately 1 more hour ....  I will concentrate and making sure I schedule in time for God, I really do waste a lot of valuable time doing things that *I* want to do, making so many things about *me*.  No relationship can handle that.

Yesterday my 18 year-old daughter sat here at the table with me and chatted ... the entire afternoon.  That is amazing.  That is so good for our mother-daughter relationship.  I had plans on watching a movie on my laptop, but I was happy to put that aside because my child WANTED to spend that relaxed and comfortable time with me.  How much more does our Father in Heaven wish we'd do that with Him?  When is the last time *I* just sat and chatted with my Father like that?  I can't remember ..... so I'm going to sit down and take a look at my days and see what I've been doing with my TIME.  And give some back to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment